Re: How to configure /etc/network/interfaces WAS: how to connect two PC's with a cross-over ethernet cable?

Bram Mertens wrote:
On Sat, 2004-08-21 at 22:37, Jon Dowland wrote:
[...]

A better solution is to use logical interface names aka interface
aliasing. The details are described in manpage interfaces(5) ; the
mapping 'eth0-home' would probably be what you wanted for transfers,
and 'eth0-work' for normal usage (or whatever you currently have).

I have been doing some more reading on this and I believe I have found
something useful but I would appreciate someone's feedback on this:

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-gateway.en.html#s-net-reconf <quote>However, suppose your computer is a laptop that you transport
between home and work. When you connect the computer to the corporate
network or to your home LAN you need to configure eth0
accordingly.</quote>

Could I use something like this?
--- /etc/network/interfaces ---
auto lo eth0

iface lo inet loopback

iface lan inet static
        address 192.168.0.123
        netmask 255.255.255.0
iface wan inet dhcp
--- EOF ---
No. Where is eth0? You have it as an automatic interface, but there is no entry for it. Change "lan" to "eth0". I don't know about your "iface wan", but I'm not sure that would work either. Unless I am greatly mistaken, arguments for iface must be actual interface names.

Other sections of
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-gateway.en.html talk
about using mapping to automatically determine which logical interface
should be brought up but I haven't been able to figure that out. Firstly I would like to see if the above makes sense to somebody on this
list who knows more about this stuff than I do.

One thing that concerns me about the above is the impact this will have
on the pppd configuration.  I still haven't found out whether 'pon'
needs the 'iface eth0 inet dhcp' line that is in /etc/network/interfaces
on my system at the moment.
What does "pon" (a command to start a DIALUP connection) have to do with the eth0 configuration, an ETHERNET connection?

Digi
--
http://nuwen.net/~digi/cluster
Anybody with money to burn will easily find someone to tend the fire.