clarification re Grub

Have installed the Official snapshot of Sarge dated 7th August.
Everything went silky-smooth. I did leave network configuration
as I wanted to use wifi and in any case didn't know my IP
address.

For the first time, I used grub - the installer did everything for me.
Unfortunately, I have 13 partitions on this very large IDE harddisk,
and I have a lot of them in use (I'm for ever 'looking at' other distros).
The installation found each one and included it in the grub menu.lst.

What I would like to clearly understand is:-
   a. As I finish 'looking at' a distro, can I just eliminate it from the
       menu.lst using a text editor?
   b. I need to compile a 2.6 kernel - do I merely add it to the menu.lst
       and select the default I desire?
   c. When I'm 'looking at' yet another distro (which apparently should
       go into the 'other operating system' section), do I merely do
       whatever the answer to b. is?

Grateful for assistance.                                 John.