Re: perl module --> debian package name

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 15:25:14 -0400
John Harrold <jmh17@pitt.edu> wrote:

> Sometime in August Jacob S. assaulted the keyboard and produced:
>
> | I agree it can be a little confusing at times.
> |
> | A quick search on packages.debian.org for "date::format" returned
> the| following:
> |
> | usr/share/man/man3/Date::Format.3pm.gz -
> interpreters/libtimedate-perl
>
> So is this the defacto way of doing this? The only reason I ask is
> because'apt-cache search date::format' returned nothing for me. I've
> migraged all of our servers over to Debian, and I'm very pleased with
> it. Though, I'm not yet familiar with all of the nuances.

No, it's simply one way of doing things. When searching for package
names, I prefer apt-cache search to using the web interface. When
searching for filenames in packages that are already installed, I like
dpkg -S. It looks like apt-file would replace my use of the website
above, I just haven't played with it yet.

As I said though, those are just my preferences. There's almost always 3
or 4 ways of doing things in Debian.

HTH,
Jacob

--
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

Random .signature #64:
Windows:

32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit
operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor, written
by a 2 bit company, that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

Linux:

The ultimate windows patch. http://www.linux.org/