Re: Please help. New install can't compile

On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 09:05, Michael Satterwhite wrote:

> I've just installed Debian Sarge on a laptop. I have installed development
> tools including gcc and g++. When I try to compile a program using gcc, I get
> the error message that it can't execute cc1plus because there is no such
> program. I thought that apt was supposed to handle dependency problems, but
> this one is being missed. Regardless, I have to get a compilation environment
> up and running. I did a web search and found one message that said to install
> g++ (originally I had gcc as that is what I've used), so I did. No avail.
>
> There have to be others who have seen this. Can anyone tell me how to get the
> compiler working?

OK. Since this is the 5th time you have asked. And since you ignored the
2 replies you got from others... I am sending directly to you... which I
typically don't do.

here is a listing from "apt-cache search gcc | sort" with some
non-related things removed.

apt-cache search gcc | sort
altgcc - Alternate gcc package for the libc5 environment.
chill-2.95 - The GNU CHILL compiler
colorgcc - Colorizer for GCC warning/error messages
cpp - The GNU C preprocessor (cpp)
cpp-2.95 - The GNU C preprocessor
cpp-2.95-doc - Documentation for the GNU C preprocessor (cpp)
cpp-3.2 - The GNU C preprocessor
cpp-3.3 - The GNU C preprocessor
cpp-3.4 - The GNU C preprocessor
cpp-3.5 - The GNU C preprocessor
g++-2.95 - The GNU C++ compiler
g++-3.4 - The GNU C++ compiler
g77 - The GNU Fortran 77 compiler
g77-2.95 - The GNU Fortran 77 compiler
g77-2.95-doc - Documentation for the GNU Fortran compiler (g77)
g77-3.2 - The GNU Fortran 77 compiler
g77-3.3 - The GNU Fortran 77 compiler
g77-3.4 - The GNU Fortran 77 compiler
gcc - The GNU C compiler
gcc-2.95 - The GNU C compiler
gcc-2.95-doc - Documentation for the GNU compilers (gcc, gobjc, g++)
gcc-3.2 - The GNU C compiler
gcc-3.2-base - The GNU Compiler Collection (base package)
gcc-3.2-doc - Documentation for the GNU compilers (gcc, gobjc, g++)
gcc-3.3 - The GNU C compiler
gcc-3.3-base - The GNU Compiler Collection (base package)
gcc-3.3-doc - Documentation for the GNU compilers (gcc, gobjc, g++)
gcc-3.4 - The GNU C compiler
gcc-3.4-base - The GNU Compiler Collection (base package)
gcc-3.4-doc - Documentation for the GNU compilers (gcc, gobjc, g++)
gcc-3.5 - The GNU C compiler
gcc-3.5-base - The GNU Compiler Collection (base package)
gcc-3.5-doc - Documentation for the GNU compilers (gcc, gobjc, g++)
gcc-avr - The GNU C compiler (cross compiler for avr)
gcc-doc - Documentation for the GNU C compilers (gcc, gobjc, g++)
gcc-h8300-hms - The GNU C/C++ cross-compilers for the Hitachi H8/300[HS] processors
gcc-m68hc1x - The GNU C/C++ compiler for the Motorola 68HC11/12 processors
gcc-snapshot - A SNAPSHOT of the GNU Compiler Collection
gcc272 - The GNU C compiler.
gcc272-docs - Documentation for the gcc compiler (gcc272).
gccchecker - Memory access debugger for C language development
gcj - The GNU Java compiler
gcj-3.3 - The GNU compiler for Java(TM)
gcj-3.4 - The GNU compiler for Java(TM)
gcj-3.5 - The GNU compiler for Java(TM)
gfortran-3.5 - The GNU Fortran 95 compiler
ghdl - VHDL compiler/simulator using GCC technology
gobjc - The GNU Objective-C compiler
gobjc-2.95 - The GNU Objective-C compiler
gobjc-3.2 - The GNU Objective-C compiler
gobjc-3.3 - The GNU Objective-C compiler
gobjc-3.4 - The GNU Objective-C compiler
gobjc-3.5 - The GNU Objective-C compiler
gpc - The GNU Pascal compiler
gpc-2.1-3.3 - The GNU Pascal compiler
gpc-2.1-3.3-doc - Documentation for the GNU Pascal compiler (gpc)
gpc-2.1-3.4 - The GNU Pascal compiler
gpc-2.1-3.4-doc - Documentation for the GNU Pascal compiler (gpc)
gpc-2.95 - The GNU Pascal compiler
gpc-2.95-doc - Documentation for the GNU Pascal compiler (gpc)
lib64gcc1 - GCC support library (64bit)
libc5 - The Linux C library version 5 (run-time libraries).
libg++2.8.1.3-dbg - The GNU C++ extension library - debugging files
libg++2.8.1.3-dev - The GNU C++ extension library - development files
libg++2.8.1.3-glibc2.2 - The GNU C++ extension library - runtime version
libgcc1 - GCC support library
libgcj4 - Java runtime library for use with gcj
libgcj4-common - Java runtime library for use with gcj (jar files)
libgcj4-dev - Java development headers and static library for use with gcj
libgcj5 - Java runtime library for use with gcj
libgcj5-common - Java runtime library for use with gcj (jar files)
libgcj5-dev - Java development headers and static library for use with gcj
libgcj6 - Java runtime library for use with gcj
libgcj6-common - Java runtime library for use with gcj (jar files)
libgcj6-dev - Java development headers and static library for use with gcj
libmudflap0 - GCC mudflap shared support libraries
libmudflap0-dev - GCC mudflap support libraries (development files)
libstdc++2.10-dbg - The GNU stdc++ library (debugging files)
libstdc++2.10-dev - The GNU stdc++ library (development files)
libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 - The GNU stdc++ library
toolchain-source - The GNU binutils and gcc source code
treelang-3.3 - The GNU Treelang compiler
treelang-3.4 - The GNU Treelang compiler

You really need to understand, that Debian Packages everything that can
be separate as separate. IOW, no HUGE Monstrosities.

Also, if you look you will find that GCC v3.4 is already available in
the Debian Archive. AND GCC v3.5 too.

Start exploring dude... best way to figure debian out is to try things.
there are quite a few options a few keystrokes away.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, better, faster: Linux