Re: migration to debian from NT4 :)

Many thanks to all for the advise :) cant wait to put a sledge hammer through our NT4 PDC ;)

On 19 Aug 2004, at 17:47, kev wrote:

debian woody has samba version 2.2

this acts fine as a PDC and can authenticate users, provide home
directories and shared directories.  using a login script these network
drives can then be assigned to drive letters when the users log in.

command is like - net use /home H:

roaming profiles also works fine.

i have set this up with a bunch of win98 clients.

then i installed postfix and courier-imap so that the users could pick up
their email.

roaming profiles works fine so that users who logged into a different
machine could pick up their own email - of course, using imap means that
all of their email is actually on the server.

(the first time a user picks up email from a different machine they have to
enter the email and server account details - but after that it is
'remembered'

the best book for this is the o-reilly samba book - i followed the
instructions in this book and they worked fine.

of course - if you use sarge of www.backports.org you can get samba version
3.0 which has active directory services and much more functionality.

HTH,

kev

Gabriel Granger wrote:

Hi All,

I've been asked to move our domain from NT in to the linux world :)
naturally Debian of course.  I would like advise if anyone has does
this on the best way to do this. The server will need to have some smb
share available and would love to be able to migrate the fax server
which in its current state is crap... you have to physically go over to
the server to look at incoming faxes and then print them (I dont allow
my users VNC type access) I would however like if possible to be be
able to somehow send and receive faxes from the desktops....does anyone
know if there are any great apps for such a task? bear in mind that I
have w2k, SuSe and OSX desktop clients.  I guess the only major thing
is how to get the user login details out of the NT4 server and import
into the linux server? i really want to avoid a manual process if
possible

Many thanks

Gabe