Re: migration to debian from NT4 :)

debian woody has samba version 2.2

this acts fine as a PDC and can authenticate users, provide home
directories and shared directories.  using a login script these network
drives can then be assigned to drive letters when the users log in.

command is like - net use /home H:

roaming profiles also works fine.

i have set this up with a bunch of win98 clients.

then i installed postfix and courier-imap so that the users could pick up
their email.

roaming profiles works fine so that users who logged into a different
machine could pick up their own email - of course, using imap means that
all of their email is actually on the server.

(the first time a user picks up email from a different machine they have to
enter the email and server account details - but after that it is
'remembered'

the best book for this is the o-reilly samba book - i followed the
instructions in this book and they worked fine.

of course - if you use sarge of www.backports.org you can get samba version
3.0 which has active directory services and much more functionality.

HTH,

kev