Help needed setting up Debian

I am a complete newbie to Debian and just installed it using sarge.  Install went fine, machine rebooted without a problem, continued install over network via http and then got to the package installation.  Here is my problem.  I can’t figure out how to actually select the package I want (desktop environment).  I’ve tried all the keys and only the arrow keys and the enter key seem to do anything, so I can’t select a package.  Can someone tell me what I’m doing wrong?  Thanks for the help.