Re: Debian equivalent of /etc/profile.d

Paul Gear wrote:

Cameron Hutchison wrote:
Once upon a time Paul Gear said...

P.S.  I can't believe Debian doesn't have /etc/profile.d.  :-)  Time to
submit the above as a patch?
Section 9.9 of the Debian policy has this to say about environment
variables:
    A program must not depend on environment variables to get reasonable
    defaults.

We are not talking about _default_ values, we're talking site-chosen values.

If you want to make bash settings consistent across users,
/etc/profile.d is a very appropriate mechanism, regardless of whether
the program has a wrapper script or not.

It is an excellent way for optional packages to announce their presence by setting appropriate variables: CLASSPATH for java for example.

It doesn't seem to me so different from /etc/bash_completion.d which apparently is okay.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait