Re: Problems with mounting vfat in Debian

Hello

Thomas Adam (<thomas@edulinux.homeunix.org>) wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 08:26:56PM +0200, NiL SpaaR wrote:
>
>> I've added this line to my /etc/fstab "/dev/hdb1
>> /home/nil/redmond
>> vfat  defaults,user   0       0"
>
> What does:
>
> ls -l /dev/hdb1
>
> produce? You should ensure that it is set with perms 660.

The permissions on the device file are not important. They do not
influence the permissions of the files on the mounted file system, and
the user does not even need read access to the device file because
mount is suid root by default. In fact even with permissions set to 000
it should still work. I think the umask, uid and gid parameters are
what NiL needs.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270