Problems with mounting vfat in Debian

Hi all,

A Linux-newbie speaking here and am a bit frustrated by the fact i cannot get a vfat mounted properly.

I've added this line to my /etc/fstab "/dev/hdb1 /home/nil/redmond vfat defaults,user 0 0"
I can mount it with the user but can only access it with root
I mount (as nil) with : "mount /dev/hdb1"
The ownership of the folder redmond bfor mounting is nil, but when the partition is mounted the ownership has changed 2 root. I cannot change the ownership of the folder with : chown nil redmond cause i get "chown: changing ownership of `redmond': Operation not permitted" as a reply

Can anyone plze help this newbie on the right track?