XMMS/ALSA - how to get mono output?

Hello.

I found out today that something bad happened to the left speaker of
my laptop, so I'm trying to make XMMS output mono for the time being.
Unfortunately, I can't find the relevant option (neither in XMMS's
setting, nor in ALSA's; Google's all about the reverse problem). How
can I set ALSA (preferably) or XMMS to output mono instead of stereo?

I'm using the following package versions (sid's newest):
xmms 1.2.10-1, alsa-base 1.0.5a-2, alsa-utils 1.0.5-3.

Cheers,
-- Shot (Piotr Szotkowski)
--
      Mi madre decía, si te haces sacerdote, serás Papa, si te dedicas al
    ejército, serás general, pero yo me dediqué a la pintura y soy Picasso.

                                                     http://shot.pl/hovercraft/