Re: System & Hardware clocks

On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 06:04:32PM +0530, P V Mathew wrote:
> Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 18:04:32 +0530
> From: P V Mathew <pvmathew@softhome.net>
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: System & Hardware clocks
>

> >>   Why does my hardware clock go slow after every
> >>time  I run Linux?
> >>
> >>    Evidently Debian resets the hardware clock to
> >>the system clock
> >>every time it shuts down. How ever the system loads
> >>the time from
> >>the hard ware clock when Debian boots up. If it can
> >>rely on the
> >>hard ware clock at start-up why can't rely on it at
> >>shut down too?
> >>
> >>    Also the time maintained by the system should
> >>be more
> >>accurate than the hard ware clock. In my case why is
> >>it not so?
> >>Since I have compiled the kernel, I might have
> >>missed some
> >>important configuration option?
> >>
> >>   This problem has developed recently. I regularly
> >>update the sid
> >>version that I am using.

[ snip ]

> How ever The system I am using has only a dial up connection
> to the net. And that connection is used rarely only. In short it
> is a stand alone desktop. Also I am a bit curious about the
> questions I have raised above.

 IMHO system synchronized to ntp server will have more accurate clock,
that's why kernel doesn't rely on hardware clock. But if you aren't
running ntp client, you are out of luck. BTW you may run ntpdate from
/etc/ppp/ip-up.d/ directory, so every time you connect to internet your
clock will synchronize to public ntp server. also read man hwclock, it
explains some things about cmos and system clock.

 Regards

--
Alexei Chetroi