Re: 'umask' and mounting of vfat filesystem.

>VFAT doesn't support unix-style file permissions. What you're seeing
>is a unix-style system trying to do the best it can on a crappy
>filesystem. It won't get any better than what you've got.

I know all that, but *why* permissions on some files cannot be set properly -
that is my initial question, what is so different about those files that 'mount'
cannot set proper permissions on them (which is quite annoying, since
I don't know what permissions to set for vfat filesystems so that an
unprivileged users will be able to use it properly)?