Re: chkrootkit...lkm trojan?... only from gnome [from debian-user]

Incoming from Gregory Pierce:

> In running chkrootkit (version 0.43) tonight I got the following
> warning:
>
> 	Checking `lkm'... You have    16 process hidden for readdir command
> You have    16 process hidden for ps command
> Warning: Possible LKM Trojan installed
>
> But when I run chkrootkit from KDE it comes up clean.  Can I really be
> compromised and chkrootkit detect a trojan from within gnome but not
> when I am running from KDE?
>
> I am not at all sure what to do from here.  Should I just start from
> scratch and re-install everything?

I think all chkrootkit installs should be accompanied by a banner
(which demands acknowledgement) which mentions what new users should
do when chkrootkit tells them something appears to be fishy.

  - check the chkrootkit archives( http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=chkrootkit-users)

  - send questions and queries to the chkrootkit mailing list
    (users@chkrootkit.org).

  - Don't panic!

- -