chkrootkit...lkm trojan?... only from gnome

Hello all,

In running chkrootkit (version 0.43) tonight I got the following
warning:

	Checking `lkm'... You have    16 process hidden for readdir command
You have    16 process hidden for ps command
Warning: Possible LKM Trojan installed

But when I run chkrootkit from KDE it comes up clean.  Can I really be
compromised and chkrootkit detect a trojan from within gnome but not
when I am running from KDE?

I am not at all sure what to do from here.  Should I just start from
scratch and re-install everything?