X resolution gnome/wmaker

Hello,

I just installed Sarge from Netinst (very cool) and have
X11 running.  The problem is that the resolution is
incredibly high (1600x1200) and I cannot see the icons
or fonts very well.  I am using Wmaker and Gnome as the
desktop.  I have tried to reconfigure using both gnome-conf
and wmakerconf.  Nothing seems to happen.

Using Ctl-Alt+ allows me to change resolution but then the
icons don't fit the desktop.

Any help on how I can change resolution to 1280x968 and
increase font/icon size?

lance