Re: Serial terminal in testing?

On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 10:34:12PM -0300, Michael D. Crawford wrote:
> Is there a serial terminal program in testing?  Like what you'd use to
> log in to another host over a serial line?
>
> Not something like xterm or gnome-terminal which is for login shells
> over a network login.  I need something that communicates over serial
> ports, and will let me set the baud rate and flow control.
>
> I'm developing the firmware for an embedded device that sends debugging
> messages out a serial port, and into the serial port on my PC.  When I
> was using Windows I used Hyperterminal for this.  But I just got set up
> to develop the firmware under linux instead.  Browsing through dselect I
> couldn't find anything in the way of serial terminals for debian.
>
> I'd be shocked if there wasn't something so I must be overlooking it.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Michael D. Crawford
> GoingWare Inc. - Expert Software Development and Consulting
> http://www.goingware.com/
> crawford@goingware.com

Here are some ideas:

Running: apt-cache search serial terminal
cyclades-serial-client - Network Serial port client software for
Cyclades terminal servers
gkermit - A serial and network communications package
gtkterm - A simple GTK+ serial port terminal
kpsk - PSK31 transmission mode Terminal for KDE3
minicom - friendly menu driven serial communication program
screen - a terminal multiplexor with VT100/ANSI terminal emulation
ser2net - Allows network connections to serial ports
socat - multipurpose relay for bidirectional data transfer
termnetd - Terminal Server daemon
ckermit - a serial and network communications package
kevin@165.247.26.15/NULL/4 :~\%
Running: apt-cache search serial terminal
cyclades-serial-client - Network Serial port client software for
Cyclades terminal servers
gkermit - A serial and network communications package
gtkterm - A simple GTK+ serial port terminal
kpsk - PSK31 transmission mode Terminal for KDE3
minicom - friendly menu driven serial communication program
screen - a terminal multiplexor with VT100/ANSI terminal emulation
ser2net - Allows network connections to serial ports
socat - multipurpose relay for bidirectional data transfer
termnetd - Terminal Server daemon
ckermit - a serial and network communications package

Of these, I know minicom works, I use it to send 'atdt' to my modem if
it wont hangup. Also, folks at my local wireless group use it to work
with embeded soekris boards.
-Kev

--

        (__)