Re: Help using Apt-Get

On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 03:19:32PM -0400, David Bokan wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am new to Debian (three or so days now)
> I have a question, I'm using the Woody release of Debian (3.0) and I want to
> get KDE3 (and some other recent packages) but in order to do that I have to
> get packages from the testing release, however, I am unsure of how to do
> this. I googled it and found something about Pinning and followed the
> instructions (created a preferences file and put some stuff in there) and it
> doesn't work. Here's the entry I put in the sources file (that's probably
> the problem):
>
> deb http://debian.yorku.ca/debian/ testing main
>
> However, when I run 'apt-get update' here's the result:
>
> Fetched 3053kB in 18s (164kB/s)
> Reading Package Lists... Error!
> E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room
> E: Error occurred whie processing python-egenix-mxstack (NewVersion1)
> E: Problem with MergeList
> /var/lib/apt/lists/debian.yorku.ca_debian_dists_testing_main_binary-i386_pac
> kages
> E: Package lists or status fie could not be parsed or opened
>
> I have no idea what any of that means...speaking of which, if someone
> wouldn't mind explaining the format of the sources.list file (the man page
> is unclear to me) I would be greatly appreciative.
>
> Thank You in Advance,
> David Bokan

It is not possible for a real* user to run packages from Sarge(testing) on a
Potato(stable) system. This is not always true, but at this moment in time
Sarge uses a library which is incompatible with most packages in Potato. To
get KDE3 you will have to migrate to Sarge, and then install KDE.

I noticed the memory overflow a long time ago when I first decided to look
into Sarge myself. I never found out how to overcome it, and will be watching
with interest to see how one deals with it.

To convert to Sarge:
1. Edit your current sources.list which mentions stable or Potato is several
places. Change all of these to Sarge.

2. run
apt-get update
This should not overflow, as you are not retaining package lists for Potato.

3. run
apt-get dist-upgrade
This will take a while as almost all the base packages must be upgraded.

I expect that you will get other responses to you post.
I suggest that you not try this until you have read all of them carefully.
Welcome to Debian, the distribution where social adgenda is a good thing.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net

*Maybe it is possible, but a user with three days experience should
not be asked to attempt such a feat. The experience will give a
totally wrong impression of how great a distribution Debian really is.