Re: Sarge RAID install

Alexei Chetroi wrote:
>>	in /etc/fstab
>>	/dev/md0	/	... regular stuff ..
>>	/dev/md1	/swap	... regular swap stuff ..
>
>   What are benefits of having swap on raid?

If one swap disk dies and you've been using it for swap, your system
will crash.  If you use RAID 1 for swap, you can lose a disk and keep
running.

> Isn't better to have two swap partitions on different disks and let
> the kernel to do load balancing? I'm thinking to install software
> raid, but cannot decide whether to put swap on raid or not. Where can
> I read more about it?

If your concern is for resilience, use RAID.  If your concern is for
performance, use raw swap, as there is a performance hit with RAID,
because you have to write every page twice.  It usually does the writes
in parallel, and you shouldn't notice a big decrease, but the
possibility is there.

--
Paul
<http://paulgear.webhop.net>