Re: Deleted root account in passwd

s. keeling wrote:

Incoming from Roy Pluschke:
On August 14, 2004 17:04, Simon Kitching wrote:
On Sun, 2004-08-15 at 11:55, Simon Kitching wrote:
On Sun, 2004-08-15 at 06:14, Pete Clarke wrote:
Hi there,

<dumb mode>I managed to delete the root entry in /etc/passwd whilst
playing on a test box</dumb mode>
Is there an easy way of re-inserting, or copying the backup passwd file
I have without physical access to the box?

I can ssh into it, but only as a regular user - obviously I can't su to
root as it doesn't exist anymore :-)
Sorry, I didn't read the original email properly, and missed the bit
about not having physical access to the machine.
I have to say that this is one area where windows really shines -- it is much, much easier to remotely set a root/admin password in windows than in linux ;)

You mean, Windows boxes are easier to root remotely?

You know, lower TC0 ( <-- zero, not "Oh")   :-)

--
Kent