gdb + xfree86 (Cannot upgrade xfree to sarge)

Is it possible to start xfree within gdb and get a backtrace? The
problem is that if I try try `gdb Xfree86`, and my XFree86 crashes,
then my screen locks, and I dont get to see the backtrace.

OK here is the long story..

A year ago I filed a bug #204603 that I cannot upgrade XFree86 from
Woody to Sarge. I still have this problem, and I am unable to use
XFree86 with Sarge. When I try to start Xfree86 in Sarge I get a
signal 11 crash with no further explanation. See Bug #204603 for
log-files, search google for `gnalle debian XFree86` for a little more
info (I cannot paste the links from emacs-w3 ). Last year I solved my
problem by downgrading xserver-xfree86 to woody, and placing a line in
my /etc/apt/preferences. This worked fine.

Today I tried upgrading to Sarge again, and it still doesn`t work, but
now I have the extra problem that I cannot downgrade again. The
problem is that dkpg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86/stable requires a
special version of discover, so I starting from a Sarge distribution
it is no longer possible to downgrade xserver-xfree86 to woody. (I
forgot to write down the exact eror message)

In conclusion I am left with a system with no xserver. XFree86 doesn`t
start in Sarge and I cannot downgrade. As a final attempt before
reinstall I would like to start xfree86 in gdb, and see if I can
construct a backtrace. Perhaps this can give a hint of the source of
the problem.

So returning to my original question. Is it possible to start XFree86
in gdb and get a backtrace?

                        Thanks in advance

                                Niels

--