Fonts, What Else

I'm having some trouble understanding the Debian way with fonts.

I've installed the base packages plus X window system, fluxbox, and firefox. Firefox does not show in its menu certain fonts that I would think would be available to it simply by virtue of X's installation, that is to say helvetica, lucida, any number of others. Running fc-cache -fv, I don't see them either. No mention of the standard fonts whatsoever. What am I missing here, or rather what might the installation be missing?

jlowell