Re: componentized linux and "sarge"

Simon Kitching wrote:

On Thu, 2004-08-12 at 17:46, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
Hello all,
	was just reading about componentized linux, Progeny etc.
	Found the idea of comoponentization excellent. I just got
	amamzed/confused with the following statemnt from Progenty.

	"Progeny Debian 2.0, A componentized linux distribution is based
	and closely related to Debian Sarge".

	So, I'm happy with sarge. Is sarge componentized ??????

As I understand it, Progeny are building some "meta-packages" (aka
"components") which reference carefully selected groups of standard
debian packages.

The idea (I think) is that you choose the appropriate Progeny
meta-package and get a set of normal debian packages installed which
Progeny has selected for quality and tested as a group.

I imagine they'll offer things like a "mailserver" metapackage, a
"firewall" metapackage, etc.

Anyway, that's how I understand it. The description of "componentized
linux" on the progeny site is rather abstract and difficult to
understand. An interview I saw with Ian Murdock wasn't much easier to
understand either :-) I do quite like the concept (assuming I've
understood it right). You can get the same effect with normal Debian,
but only if you know things like which individual packages you need to
achieve your task, which of them is the best quality, which have the
best security patch response period, and which ones integrate well
together. Not that easy to figure out sometimes..

It's a _developers_ package. There's a three-CD (includes source) beta you can download and play with.

It uses Red Hat's Anaconda, a GUI/TUI/Automatic installer, the latest version same installer I used to use to install a desktop configuration (KDE and GNOME) of Red Hat Linux on arbitrary Pentium III 733-class hardware in under 15 minutes off a LAN.

I've done one Progeny install with it; the major problem us that it didn't detect and configure my PS/2 mouse.

Almost all of the packages are standard Sarge; progeny has changed some of the apt packages.

All the software you need to roll your own distro, including CD creation, can be downloaded from the Progeny website.

Anaconda has been around for some years, and is one of the better Linux installers. It's always been GPL, and so other vendors such as Point Clark Networks (ClarkConnect) have based their distros on RHL and adapted Anaconda to their porposes.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait