Re: embedded development vs. GPL

Jacob S. wrote:

<snip>

You mean like Actiontec did with their Dual-PC modem[1] where you can
download the GPL'd source code for the firmware[2]?

I thought it was a nice solution. The product works great and Linux
hackers can modify it to their heart's content.

[1]
http://www.actiontec.com/products/tech/modems/dual_pcmodem/dpm_overview.html
[2]
ftp://128.121.226.214/pub/dualpcmodem/actiontec_release_031017.tar.gz

The cheapest Linux computer you can buy is ... A Linksys WRT54G.

That might not be precisely true, it's a moving target,but it illustrates the point. Source code is available from the Linksys website.

I've also seen someone from dlink on one the embedded Linux lists asking some "how to" questions. I think his name was Weng Shu but otoh I might have just made a hilarious mistake:-)

Why not scan such lists and see who's doing it, and asking for their views?

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait