Re: embedded development vs. GPL (was: Re: Sarge Release?)

On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 11:54:33AM -0600, Nate Duehr wrote:
> On Wed, August 11, 2004 5:58, James said:
>
> > Let's face it, most of linux's problems are a result on not being
> > about to recruit a sufficient talent pool of low level embedded
> > developers. Most of those that do convert (after a convoluted learning
> > path) end up at a proprietary shop that puts linux on a processor, and
> > hides the key low level details.....
>
> I would add a note here, a recent discussion of licenses on an embedded
> microcontroller list that shall remain anonymous pointed out that the GPL
> (and more appropriately the LGPL)'s restrictions on static linking make it
> VERY difficult to develop for embedded processors using Linux and create a
> marketable product.

IIRC the idea of lgpl is to solve the problem of marketability with the
gpl. The reason the main c libraries and also some other stuff is lgpl
is to allow commercial programs under linux.

> Most compilers for small microcontrollers can't take advantage of dynamic
> linking, there's simply not enough storage space on the devices.

AFAIK the problem with dynamic linking with embedded systems is more
with the existence of an mmu and less with space limitations.