Re: Internet Explorer 6 on Debian Unstable

On August 11, 2004 08:31 pm, Gregory Pierce wrote:
> Mike,
>
> I don't know if this has already been suggested, but you can emulate the
> whole Windows XP (or any other brand of WIndows) environment with a
> proprietary package called VMware.  Unfortunately, it does a cost a
> small sum, ~$200.  I actually bought it recently thinking that it would
> be fun to emulate a Windows XP box set up in its default state (naked to
> the world) and watch the viruses and worms wiggle their way in. I never
> got around to doing this but I thought it would be a fun and secure way
> to learn about Windows vulnerabilities. I can't tell you how well it
> works, as I have yet to install it. There may well be other Debian users
> out there who have used it and may be able to tell you how well it
> works.
>
> Greg

I tried vmware with Windows 2000. Worked really well, even recognized usb
hotplug devices. Only things that were not working properly were those that
messed with low-level drivers (like some firewalls and anti-viruses). IE, MS
Office and other such things worked like in their native environment.