Re: flash and mozilla (and firefox and epiphany) (SOLVED!)

SOLUTION: On my system to get Flash to play, the esd process needs to
be running with the "-as" argument (set to 5 in my case) and the dsp
wrapper value for Mozilla (or Firefox) needs to be "none" (as can
be set by 'dpkg-reconfigure mozilla').

EMBELLISHMENT:
I finally found a config that I'm really happy with and want to share
it should it help anyone else.

Thanks for everyone's replies and help in this thread.

The first problem was that Flash would not play and would even crash my
browser.  I eventually found out that killing any esd processes would
allow Flash to play.  Cool!  I was fairly happy with this solution
being only disappointed in that, when killing the esd process(es), I
would no long get any Gnome/system event sounds.  The solution I'm
currently using gives me it all, baby! :)

Again, I'm running Sarge and using Gnome with esd for sound.  So here's
the deal.  Before I login with gdm, I have to start esd myself with the
"-as" argument (with a value of 5 in my case) and with no "-terminate"
argument (thanks Carl!).  If I let Gnome start esd for me upon
login, it won't use the "-as" argument (anyone know how to change
this?).  Now I can log in to Gnome with gdm.  The Gnome "sound server"
will use the existing esd process so I get event sounds (and with no
esd "-terminate" argument nor needing to kill esd to play Flash, I
continue to get them).  Audio apps work as expected and as long as I
have the dsp wrapper value for Mozilla and Firefox set to "none"
(instead of "auto" or "esddsp"), Flash works!  This seems to be how it
should have been all along.  I think the real problem is that the whole
dsp wrapper thing (asked by debconf with Mozilla or Firefox
installation) doesn't work.  If this worked as I believe it is supposed
to, I don't think this ever would have been an issue.  As I believe it
doesn't work, I have to use "-as" with esd and no dsp wrapper with
Mozilla as a work around.

Paul

  --received from Paul Yeatman--