Re: Internet Explorer 6 on Debian Unstable

Mike Ward wrote:
On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 16:44:36 -0500, Scott Thompson <sthompson@lldlaw.com> wrote:
Thanks, I hadn't found that yet.

Unfortunatly I think my problem is a bit deeper: When I try to "wine
ie6setup.exe", it runs for a moment and then tells me that the cluster
size on this system isn't supported.

I also tried "method 1" on that page, the installer script, but it
said the following:

Could not locate /home/mike/.wine/dosdevices/c:/
Wine exited with a successful status/windows directory. Checked for
windows, Windows, and WINDOWS

This is really a wine issue, not really something to discuss here;
I've been succesful to run IE in wine versions compiled from source, using the second method on that page; I currently use wine version "Wine 20040716"; Don't try to use cvs for IE (at least that didn't work well here)

I'd suggest you follow this course of actions:

- Get rid of anything in ~/.wine (say, `mv ~/.wine ~/.buggy-wine`)
- download that latest source from their site and untar the tarball
- run `tools/wineinstall` in that directory; It'll setup a clean ~/.wine directory for you with fake windows directories.

(getting rid of wine is as simple as running `make uninstall` in that source directory, and removing the source directory and ~/.wine)

HTH,

Joris