Re: smtp exim4

David Baron <d_baron@012.net.il> wrote in message news:<2rXAR-3bX-13@gated-at.bofh.it>...
> On Wednesday 11 August 2004 03:08, debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org
> wrote:
> > If someone could at least point me in the right direction, i.e. how to
> > enable smtp connections, what logs to focus on (exim's seem to be way
> > to terse to be useful - maybe I can increase the logging level?), etc.
>
> Apparently, exim4 cannot read from other machine's servers. Use something like
> fetchmail (easy to set up) to get mail from these servers onto "localhost"
> and exim4 can move it to the appropriate "unix" mailbox.
>
> Now ... I have a (dynamic) dns hostname. If I send email to that host, it goes
> to "neverland". If my machine is turned off, then I will get an error about
> undeliverable message. If my machine is on, no  error but no delivery either.
> What am I missing?

O.k., so you misunderstood my question, though your "answer" is right.
 Fetchmail should be used for exim to get mail from another server, I
was talking about direct smtp connections.

as far as the dynamic dns hostname, not really sure what you mean.  Do
you mean you have a dynamic IP on the machien where your MTA resides?
Still not sure that matters depending on your setup.  You've given
very little information...are you sending mail to  yourself, from
yourself, on this machine with the "dynamic dns"?  Usually if mail
isn't bouncing or getting anywhere its frozen inside exim because of
delivery errors.

What you can do is check the exim logs, for me they're in
/var/log/exim4
You can also use eximon to look at the message queue, or command line
options.  Try man exim4 (or whatever version you have). You can also
look at the docs
at www.exim.org and if nothing else, be much more specific about your
problem and google it.

good luck!