Re: [Debian-user] Woody to Sarge?

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 18:55:33 +0100
Thomas Adam <thomas@edulinux.homeunix.org> wrote:

> >     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > This step really isn't necessary, though. Everything in it and more
> > gets covered in the next one.
>
> That's where you're wrong. Although a dist-upgrade does imply an
> 'upgrade', it can still turn round and bite you on the arse. Hence,
> the intermediary step is *always* advisable.

Actually, I've tried it before. Doing an upgrade before a dist-upgrade
when I'm jumping between major releases like that has always either
upgraded nothing or caused problems for me. And I wasn't even using any
backports or apt-pinning.

Instead I use upgrade in conjunction with a few <packag_name> install
commands to fix the packages that were held back, didn't upgrade
properly, or whatever else _after_ the dist-upgrade is complete.

Jacob

--
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

Random .signature #52:
The relative speed of a computer, regardless of CPU architecture, is
inversely proportional to the number of Microsoft products installed.