Re: unresolved kernel symbols

Hi Tong,

> I am experiencing unresolved kernel symbol problem
> when compiling my pctel modem driver.
>
> The compilation and installation was ok. When trying
> to load the module, I get:
>
> % insmod -f pctel
> Using /lib/modules/2.4.25-1-386/misc/pctel.o Warning:

Please read the error message output by the kernel:

> The module you are
> trying to load
> (/lib/modules/2.4.25-1-386/misc/pctel.o) is compiled
> with a
> gcc version 2 compiler, while the kernel you are
> running is compiled with
> a gcc version 3 compiler. This is known to not work.

Is the claim of the error message true -- that you compiled the module
with gcc-2.95?  This may have happened unintentionally if, for instance,
/usr/bin/cc or /usr/bin/gcc was a symlink to gcc-2.95 on your system.
If so, then the obvious fix is to make cc and gcc be symlinks to gcc-3.3
(this should be the case by default in sarge and sid) and recompile.

regards,

GPG public key ID: 4F83C751                 Princeton, NJ 08544