Re: Obsessed with a clean system

On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 09:16:19PM -0700, William Ballard wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 10:27:58PM -0500, matt zagrabelny wrote:
> > On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 22:04, Tong Sun wrote:
> > > try the 4th time.
> > >
> > > Date:	 Tue, 10 Aug 2004 14:56:21 -0700 (PDT)
> > > Subject:	Obsessed with a clean system
> > > To:	debian-user@lists.debian.org
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Anybody here is as obsessed as I am for a clean
> > > system?
> > >
> > > Looking at the packages I installed, I know there
> > > would be lots of them that I will never use. E.g.,
> > >
> > > kscreensaver ktux xscreensaver kdewallpapers atlantik
> > > atlantikdesigner gnome-games gnome-games-data katomic
> > > kbackgammon kbattleship kblackbox kdegames
> > > kdegames-card-data kenolaba kfouleggs kgoldrunner
> > > khangman kjumpingcube klickety kmahjongg kmessedwords
> > > kolf konquest kpat ksirtet ksmiletris ksokoban
> > > kspaceduel libgdkcardimage0 libkdegames1 libkpathsea3
> > > lskat

Sounds like you installed the gnome and kde dependency packages instead
of just the packages you wanted, although gnome and kde do tend to
bring way too much in with them, both installation wise and extra
setting processes overhead. One of the reasons I use fvwm and rxvt, no
kde packages and very few gnome ones I couldn't live without.

> I had this problem at first.  I fixed large amounts of it by:
> (1) use x-window-system-core & twm instead of x-window-system
> (2) use kcontrol instead of kde
> (3) use gnome-control-center instead of gnome
>
> Use apt-get to install (1) and aptitude to install (2) and (3).
> Aptitude will bring in enough of the rest of KDE/Gnome to run just about
> everything: if kcontrol/gnome-control-center can run and the powerset of
> its "recommends" is installed, everything will run and extra cruft won't
> be brought in.
>
> When you install other things, in general use "aptitude install" because
> you usually also want to the recommends; but sometimes to be spare just
> use "apt-get install", to only get the minimal dependencies.  I've
> found

You can always configure aptitude not to install recommends. Run
aptitude with no options to get the ncurses interface, press f10 for
menu, then options and dependency handling.

BTW, AFAIK recent aptitude allows you to chose a program for
installation, and then when you review packages to install you can dump
the recommends without aptitude forcing them down your thought. Or you
can also press enter on the package name and see the list of
recommends, depends, suggests and which packages depend on any given
package and play around with that.