Re: Obsessed with a clean system

On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 10:27:58PM -0500, matt zagrabelny wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 22:04, Tong Sun wrote:
> > try the 4th time.
> >
> > Date:	 Tue, 10 Aug 2004 14:56:21 -0700 (PDT)
> > Subject:	Obsessed with a clean system
> > To:	debian-user@lists.debian.org
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Anybody here is as obsessed as I am for a clean
> > system?
> >
> > Looking at the packages I installed, I know there
> > would be lots of them that I will never use. E.g.,
> >
> > kscreensaver ktux xscreensaver kdewallpapers atlantik
> > atlantikdesigner gnome-games gnome-games-data katomic
> > kbackgammon kbattleship kblackbox kdegames
> > kdegames-card-data kenolaba kfouleggs kgoldrunner
> > khangman kjumpingcube klickety kmahjongg kmessedwords
> > kolf konquest kpat ksirtet ksmiletris ksokoban
> > kspaceduel libgdkcardimage0 libkdegames1 libkpathsea3
> > lskat

I had this problem at first.  I fixed large amounts of it by:
(1) use x-window-system-core & twm instead of x-window-system
(2) use kcontrol instead of kde
(3) use gnome-control-center instead of gnome

Use apt-get to install (1) and aptitude to install (2) and (3).
Aptitude will bring in enough of the rest of KDE/Gnome to run just about
everything: if kcontrol/gnome-control-center can run and the powerset of
its "recommends" is installed, everything will run and extra cruft won't
be brought in.

When you install other things, in general use "aptitude install" because
you usually also want to the recommends; but sometimes to be spare just
use "apt-get install", to only get the minimal dependencies.  I've found
that for the core dev tools I usually want all the recommends but for
some of the more exotic dev tools I only want the depends.