Re: Boot with no KDE?

On August 10, 2004 03:32 am, Richard Cavell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed Debian linux on an unremarkable Pentium 4-class
> system.  It boots to the KDE.
>
> Now, my nVidia GeForce 4 Ti 4200 is not recognized by KDE.  It
> therefore uses it as generic SVGA.  This yields a maximum resolution
> which is quite small and makes it impossible for me to use GIMP etc,
> because the dialog boxes are bigger than the screen.
>
> I have downloaded the nVidia drivers and I'm trying to install them,
> but of course I need to exit kde to command line in order to do this.
>  How do I exit from kde to the command line?  (Ctrl-Alt-F1 will not
> do this).

Use from the looks of your posting below "/etc/init.d/gdm stop" (without
the quotes) once at the console. You may want to use the console login
option if it is present at the login screen for the GDM then issue the
command mentioned as root of course.

> Secondly, how do I make my computer boot with no kde at all?  My
> default runlevel is 2, and in /etc/rc2.d I have:
>
> S10sysklogd, S11klogd, S14ppp, S18portmap, S20exim4, S20fam,
> S20inetd, S20makedev, S20mysql, S20slash, S89atd, S89cron, S91apache,
> S99gdm, S99rmnologin, S99stop-bootlogd
>
> Where is kde being started?

S99gdm which is strange most people using KDE would probably use kdm to
start it which would be S99kdm if it was present.

Stephen