Boot with no KDE?

Hi,

I have installed Debian linux on an unremarkable Pentium 4-class system. It boots to the KDE.

Now, my nVidia GeForce 4 Ti 4200 is not recognized by KDE. It therefore uses it as generic SVGA. This yields a maximum resolution which is quite small and makes it impossible for me to use GIMP etc, because the dialog boxes are bigger than the screen.

I have downloaded the nVidia drivers and I'm trying to install them, but of course I need to exit kde to command line in order to do this. How do I exit from kde to the command line? (Ctrl-Alt-F1 will not do this).

Secondly, how do I make my computer boot with no kde at all? My default runlevel is 2, and in /etc/rc2.d I have:

S10sysklogd, S11klogd, S14ppp, S18portmap, S20exim4, S20fam, S20inetd, S20makedev, S20mysql, S20slash, S89atd, S89cron, S91apache, S99gdm, S99rmnologin, S99stop-bootlogd

Where is kde being started?

Play Love Hunt to win a $9000 holiday and find love! http://mobilecentral.ninemsn.com.au/mclovehunt/lovehunt.aspx