Re: apt-get dist-upgrade

Jeff Elkins wrote:
The following packages will be REMOVED:
blt-common epiphany-browser gimp-nonfree
kdelibs4-dev libcupsys2-dev mozilla mozilla-browser
mozilla-mailnews mozilla-psm mozilla-xft

I'm in a similar situation. aptitude (non-interactive) wants to remove libnss4 and libnss3 and automatically remove my mozilla packages. The situation is similar for apt-get, taking account of no tracking of automatically installed packages.

Newer versions of libnspr4 and libnss3, as well as the mozilla-* packages are available. If you'll notice, also, the new mozilla-browser package adds about 6 new dependencies.

Fortunately - running unstable here - I can resolve the situation by issuing the command:

# aptitude -tunstable install mozilla-browser

or

# apt-get -tunstable install mozilla-browser

Now, I consider my situation resolved. Perhaps something similar will work for you.

You say that you have gone some time without updates. Perhaps you are running testing. I believe mozilla-xft as a separate package has been obsoleted for quite some time now in unstable.

In your case the appropriate action may be:

# apt-get install mozilla

Of course use -t or specify a version if you want to override apt pinning.

--dircha