Caching Apt Files

I've been using apt-proxy, and see apt-cacher mentioned some as well.
(I'm using apt-proxy 1.3.6 from Testing, not 1.9.5 from Unstable.)

Apt-proxy looks like it's mainly a hack of some shell scripts to use
wget, rsync and friends to retrieve packages and cache them. Apt-cacher
looks like a .cgi hack that takes advantage of Apache for it's daemon
capabilities.

If both work as advertised, I would tend to think apt-cacher sounds
better. But then I tried to find the documentation on apt-cacher -
nothing except for two Debian files and a copyright in
/usr/share/doc/apt-cacher. Man apt-cacher happens to have some good
information and says to go to www.apt-cacher.org for more info; but this
domain can not be found. Apt-cacher isn't looking so hot any more.

Apt-proxy... well, I've been using it. It works good for caching, but
it's noticeably slower, quite a bit so, than having my sources.list file
point directly to a Debian mirror, and the first fetch usually has one
or two package lists fail, but then works fine on the second try.

So, anyone with experience using apt-cacher, or better yet, both
apt-cacher and apt-proxy? I would appreciate hearing other people's
thoughts and experiences.

TIA,
Jacob

--
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

Random .signature #54:
If Bill Gates had a nickel for every time Windows crashed... Oh wait, he
does.