Re: Want anonymous proxy server IP address mapping utility

> I've seen Squid logs where someone was giving it a bloody good go.
>
> In any event, you didn't say _what_ you want to proxy.

Okay... well, I thought it was just common knowledge, but the various
proxy servers out there, with various degrees of "transparency" and
"anonymity" and this and that, AFAIK just receive HTTP requests on
whatever port it is this week and forward them on the "standard" port.
I supposed someone might have conjured up some method of using them
for anonymous email, but I don't see why they'd bother.

In any case, I'm just (once again...) looking for the functionality
of a couple of the Windoze utilities I've been using, in a Linux
version.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Squid is designed for setting up a *local*
proxy, with various forms of filtering, isn't it?  I looked through
the docs and it didn't look to me like that was what I was looking for,
but maybe I missed it.  (naaah...  Who, ME?? overlook something right
under
my nose?  I wouldn't do *that*...)

I had no idea these things were the subject of such knee-jerk suspicion
and
paranoia.  There are all sorts of commercial products out there for net
anonymity;
what's the big deal?  (other than that I'm getting the impression
there's
nothing *available* for Linux...)

Maybe I'm asking in the wrong place or on the wrong list...  I just
thought, as with some other functionalities, there might be some
Debian-specific package Or Something that would fill the bill...