Re: Bogus reply-to

hi ya jacob

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004, Jacob S. wrote:

> > 	"keep it in the list <user@Mail.Linux-x-Consulting.com>"
>
> That's your mail server or client changing localhost to
> Mail.Linux-x-Consulting.com. Her Reply-To shows up as "user@localhost"
> here on my computer.

odd that only her localhost gets converted but not my own internal
localhost deliveries stay as localhost ... oh well too much header
headaches

	- see blow .. nothing to worry about in my book ..

but than again, this is an antique pine i'm sitting on

> Also note that it's just the Reply-To showing up as
> Mail.Linux-x-Consulting.com - not the From line. Mail-Followup-To
> effectively sets the Reply-To as being the mailing list, for mail
> clients that honor it, yet nobody accuses people of misusing the list
> address.

see below

c ya
alvin

for that particular email that has the reply going to
"user@mail.linux-x-consulting.com" the headers looks like:

x> From bounce-debian-user=aoga=Mail.Linux-Consulting.com@lists.debian.org
x> Return-Path:
<bounce-debian-user=aoga=Mail.Linux-Consulting.com@lists.debian.org>
x> Received: from localhost (localhost [127.0.0.1])

good... so far ..

x> Old-Return-Path: <debian-user@m.gmane.org>
x> X-Original-To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
x> Received: from main.gmane.org (main.gmane.org [80.91.224.249])
x> Received: from home.bounceswoosh.org ([66.17.169.80])
x> Received: from spam by home.bounceswoosh.org with local (Gmexim 0.1
x> Mail-Followup-To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
x> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
x> From: "Monique Y. Mudama" <spam@bounceswoosh.org>
x> Subject: Re: Bogus reply-to
..
x> Reply-To: "keep it in the list" <user@Mail.Linux-x-Consulting.com>

hummm .... the mua is not supposed to change this header
	( i manually added the -x- for the other folks )

bad reply-to in my book .. but its not worth the time to go
see where and why it is the way it became
	- my impression is the sending mua sets the "reply-to"
	and the receiving mua only gets to add the very first "From" line

x> X-Complaints-To: usenet@sea.gmane.org
x> X-Gmane-NNTP-Posting-Host: home.bounceswoosh.org
x> Mail-Copies-To: never
x> User-Agent: slrn/0.9.8.0 (Linux)
x> Sender: news <news@sea.gmane.org>
x> bunch-o-antispam-stuff