Re: grub/lilo - Re: Whats with this new Debian installer?

hi ya john

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004, John Summerfield wrote:

> >lilo -R something will boot only once ... 2nd time around will be back
> >to that it would be normally
> >

> I thought that's what I said.

problem is "one time" solution is NOT what i need/want/looking for

> >as long as you can write the MBR correctly... that is true ...
> >
> >problem is the MBR is NOT always written correctly .. both grub and lilo
> >fails to write the proper data under some random cases
> >
> Not something I've observed.

lucky for you ... i'll wait till you start to see "!#$%%" happening
to boxes somebody brings in for you to fix for them

> >its a problem if you're using ext3 or reiserfs or xfs and the kernel
> >you're booting doesnt understand that fs, than you will have to have
> >fun with reiserfs and more fun with booting a raid system
> >

> Eh? How do use use ext2 or reiserfs or xfs with a kernel that doesn't
> understand it?

am hinting to you need to load those modules for the kernel with initrd
and you have to know how to build custom initrd and also know what
options to define in the hardware or software raid configs to get
the system to boot .. with grub or lilo ... with or without root raid

> summer@Dolphin:~$ dpkg --listfiles grub | grep /usr

> Hmm. No executables there. Where is stage1?

lucky you

> Oh, look!
> summer@Dolphin:~$ dpkg --listfiles grub | grep stage1

doesn't necessarily mean that all systems installs it properly
or that the-silly-user installed it properly...
	- i donno what people do to the machines ...
	but do know what needs to be fixed ..

> You do this once:
> grub-install /dev/hda

i run grub-install dozens of times for one machine with various
kernels or tests or "see this is what it does when you do this"

and nope ... i do NOT use generic debian kernels.... i prefer my
boxes to have more kernel hardening features turned on all the various
boxes

> If you find you need to copy stuff into /boot yourself then you're doing
> something wrong.

thgere's always more than one way to configure a system
and some folks do it differently....

and in this case, it was all done with generic cdrom installs
and magic... there's a problem .. oh well... fix it in 5 seconds
and move on ...

> the grub install script does just that.

donno ... never looked at it in any great detail yet
and have no plans to do so

> summer@Dolphin:~$ dpkg --listfiles grub | grep /sbin

> If you can "apt-get install grub" it's there for you. No silly side
> scripts. it's standard part of the package.

i got the impression you wrote a silly side script .. my misunderstanding

c ya
alvin