Re: Whats with this new Debian installer?

> On Sun, Aug 08, 2004 at 11:58:57PM +0200, Patrick Donker wrote:
>
> > While you're at, could somebody explain to me why it is concidered to be
> > lame asking for a gui installer? ...
>
> I don't think it is.  I think it's considered lame to ask for a GUI
> installer before the actual *function* of the installer is perfected.
> Once it works, you can throw an X version on top of the "does the
> job" part fairly easily.

First I've to say the current d-i works fairly well. Living in 2004 it's
not lame to ask for a GUI d-i but it's not the right time to ask.

It's not that easy to build a GUI around d-i with all the different
options and all the different hardware to consider. All you would
achieve is just lots of unecessary bugs. IMO a GUI installer of the
complexity of d-i has to be designed from the ground up and the best way
to do it is _after_ Sarge is released.

There is no need to use X for a GUI installer, there is already DirectFB
("http://www.directfb.org/";) and there will be wxGDK (based on DirectFB)
("http://wyodesktop.sourceforge.net/index.php?page=wxgdkport.html";). If
the release schedule of Debian versions doesn't change much ;-) wxGDK
will be finished in time.

O. Wyss

--
How to enhance your code, see "http://freshmeat.net/projects/wxguide/";