"use screen" to "Pick up a shell session after ssh timeout"

On Thu, Jul 08 at 04:15PM +0200, Dennis Stosberg wrote:
> Sure, this is not a solution this time.  But maybe it is a solution
> for the next time:
>
> $ ssh user@remotehost
> Welcome to remotehost
> $ screen
> $ long_task
>
> When you press C-a C-d now, you detach yourself from your screen
> session, which means that long_task will continue to run using a
> virtual terminal simulated by screen.
>
> Log out, go for lunch.
>
> When you return, you can rejoin your previously opened screen
> session:
>
> $ ssh user@remotehost
> Welcome to remotehost
> $ screen -x
>
> And zap! You are exactly where you came from before you detached
> from your old session.  And this is just a little bit of what screen
> can do for you.  I found it to be very useful and quite addictive.

screen's architect recommends

	screen -D -R

to reattach to existing sessions (or spawn a new session if
there's none to reattach to), whereas

	screen -x

will JOIN an active session -- that is, you can have several
keyboards/monitors looking at the exact same session; input and
output are available to all participants (which is great for
narrated support sessions, and can be misused to give close
friends a severe but entertaining case of apoplexy :).

screen is
  ____ __      _____  _________  ____ ___  ___
 / __ `/ | /| / / _ \/ ___/ __ \/ __ `__ \/ _ \
/ /_/ /| |/ |/ /  __(__  ) /_/ / / / / / /  __/
\__,_/ |__/|__/\___/____/\____/_/ /_/ /_/\___/

--
I use Debian/GNU Linux version 3.0;
Linux boss 2.4.18-bf2.4 #1 Son Apr 14 09:53:28 CEST 2002 i586 unknown

DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #117 from Adam Scriven <scriven@lore.com>
:
Here's how you THAW MESSAGES FROZEN VIA EXIM: Just cd to the
/var/spool/exim/msglog directory, and run
	# exim -Mt *
That should thaw any message that's pending. For more dire
action, you can try
	# exim -Mrm <message-id-here>
to actually obliterate a troublesome message. See exim.org (or
/usr/share/doc/exim/manual.html/*) for more details.