Network connection failing, but adaptors still "up"

Hi all,

I have a strange problem, that I am sure is my fault somehow :-)

I have 2 thunderlan cards in a server, they are set up to use active-backup
bonding.
After an undetermined period they stop communicating with the network,
although the link is apparently "up" still ... mii-tool reports 100mbs/full
duplex connection, the link lights on the switch are lit and everything is
reported OK in ifconfig -a...
However, they refuse to use the network link, and all attempts to
communicate fail .. either in or out.

The setup is:

Debian Stable;
Compaq 2500r;
Dual PPro 200/512 (using 2.4.18-1-686-smp kernel);
512mb;
45gb RAID;
Dual Thunderlan 10/100 cards (using tlan driver);

Both cards are detected fine, and set up as eth0 and eth1, bonded to bond0.
Bonding works fine, and when they work, everything is good ... unplug one
cable and it automatically switches to the other, and visa-versa..however,
as stated, after a (seemingly) random time period, all network connectivity
is lost.

Any ideas?
I have "Googled" but came up blank..

Cheers,