Re: Whats with this new Debian installer?

On Sun, Aug 08, 2004 at 06:49:33PM -0300, Joey Hess wrote:

> It works for about 95% of our users based on installation reports. I
> expect that 90% of our users don't bother to file reports -- I've not
> seen any from you.

I posted one to debian-boot, which no one answered.

> Anyway, no, hardware autodetection is not the only new feature compared
> to the boot floppies.  Off the top of my head a few other user-visible
> features:
>
>  - automatic disk partitioning

Not if you want to resize your NTFS partition.  I had to use a
shareware product.  GNU ntfstools are not included.

>  - support for XFS, reiserfs, jfs

Irrelevant to me personally, but granted.

>  - booting from USB keychain

Didn't know that.

>  - wireless networking

Not with my card.

>  - 2.6 kernel

Not on my hardware.  Freeze.

>  - grub as the boot loader

Not for me -- I use LILO.

>  - automatic detection of other OSes (linux, windows, etc) and
>    addition of working boot entires for these in the grub menu

Not in my case.

I did say "basically" the same as boot-floppies.  None of the above
strikes me as "basic".  (I did say "basically", right?  I don't have
a copy of my own post to hand.)
--
Carl Fink             carl@fink.to
Jabootu's Minister of Proofreading