Re: Configuration DB

On Sat, 2004-08-07 at 15:09, Tong wrote:
> Yes, that is my question -- is there any way to avoid those hard and
> tedious questions, since I've answered them once, and the system should
> have kept the answer somewhere, or, Debian just forgets those answers
> right away? then how do you do reconfiguration?

I don't know what you all are on about. Personally, I am on the same
"install" of Debian since I first installed it on my primary home
machine (and work for that matter)

I have transferred these installs from machine to machine to machine
using scp or a cpio pipe through ssh etc...

It just works. I make the changes needed and voila.

This particular build, has gone from a

Pentium-166MHz to a
PentiumPro-180MHz to a
PentiumMMX-233MHz to a
PentiumII-300MHz to an
Athlon T-Bird 900MHz to an
Athlon T-Bird 1400MHz to an
Athlon XP1900+ to an
Athlon XP2500+ to an
Athlon XP2800+... where I am currently using it.

Each machine had a different Motherboard, NIC, Video Card, Disk (the
PP180 had SCSI everything) systems etc...

Sure, many, many,
"dslect updates && apt-get -u dist-upgrades" later here I am.

Now, I used to use RedHat as my primary Linux... but I drank the
Kool-Aid thanks to Karsten M. Self and Peter Whysall, a few years ago.

I went to Debian on the 900MHz ns it being my secondary Linux machine,
when I got a new 1200MHz for Windows. And RedHat disappeared from my
home.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is