Re: Debian GnuCash packages orphaned

Paul Scott wrote:

Like many applications it has been growing in capabilities for some time:

"If you've been looking for a way to manage your personal or business finances using Free Software, you've found it!"

10. Multiple Currencies <http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v1.8/C/gnucash-guide/chapter10.html> 11. Depreciation <http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v1.8/C/gnucash-guide/chapter11.html> 12. Accounts Receivable <http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v1.8/C/gnucash-guide/chapter12.html> 13. Accounts Payable <http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v1.8/C/gnucash-guide/chapter13.html> 14. Payroll <http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v1.8/C/gnucash-guide/chapter14.html>

I'll certainly take a look at those. It would be about two years since I last looked at it, and then it didn't seem that its direction was towards business.

sql-ledger is an accounting package for businesses and can manage issues such as taxation, order-taking, deliveris, billing and issuing receipts.if you check back over the past few days you will see a sizable discussion of it.

From what little I've read so far I pretty well agree about the higher capabilities of sql-ledger and I think there are ways to accomplish some of these things in GnuCash.

I've no knowledge of KMyMoney2.

This one does claim to be MS Money compatible and for personal finances.

If you value GnuCash, by all means step in and adopt it.

I probably will and the previous maintainer suggested this might be a good project for a team which is the other reason I posted here. I have been programming for many years but I am not yet a Debian developer. I will also post that request at debian-devel.

Then also check with upstream: it's entirely possible someone there uses Debian, and it seems to me a good thing if somone has a foot in both camps.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait