NFS, Samba, something more obscure?

I've been using Linux for a long time (Debian since Slink), but in all that
time I've had no reason to share filesystems.  At home I had one computer,
and the web/mail/news servers I helped run, had no occasion to do so.

Now I have a tower and a laptop at home, and to share files it would be much
easier to share a filesystem.

I've never used NFS, but everything I read says it's highly insecure.  OTOH,
my network sits behind a Belkin router with only my own systems as nodes.

The other obvious choice would be Samba, which would have advantages since I
sometimes boot my laptop into Windows XP.  I also hear it's more secure than
NFS (?) but much harder to set up.

For all I know there are other filesystem-sharing methods I'm not familiar
with at all.

I invite the list to make suggestions.  Please do NOT copy me personally, I
read this list.

Thanks.
--
Carl Fink             carl@fink.to