Re: udev, atapi cdrw drives and cdrecord

On Sat, 2004-08-07 at 10:08, Alan Chandler wrote:
> I have a hardware setup which includes two atapi cdrom like drives - /dev/hdc
> is a cd rewriter (or cd recorder) and /dev/hdd is a dvd drive.
>
> I am running a 2.6 kernel (2.6.7-k7-1) which is supposed to automatically
> include ide-scsi without the need to load a module.
>
> I have set up udev to create /dev/hdc and also a symlink /dev/cdrw to point to
> it.
>
> I am trying to use cdrecord to make a cd.  But it seemingly hangs (forever).
> It outputs the information below and then suspends (and ctrl C does not kill
> it).
>
> alan@kanger debcd $ cdrecord -eject speed=12 dev=/dev/cdrw
> sarge-i386-netinst.iso
> cdrecord: No write mode specified.
> cdrecord: Asuming -tao mode.
> cdrecord: Future versions of cdrecord may have different drive dependent
> defaults.
> cdrecord: Continuing in 5 seconds...
> Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a34 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg
> Schilling
> NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an inofficial (modified) release of cdrecord
>       and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original version.
>       Please send bug reports and support requests to
> <cdrtools@packages.debian.org>.
>       The original author should not be bothered with problems of this
> version.
>
> scsidev: '/dev/cdrw'
> devname: '/dev/cdrw'
> scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
> Warning: Open by 'devname' is unintentional and not supported.

actually the 2.6 kernel provides native ATAPI layer for cdrecord to use.
so you dont need a scsi emulation layer (ide-scsi). google for something
like "scanbus atapi cdrecord" to get started.

that said, if you choose to use scsi emulation, your cd drives will be
/dev/scd0, /dev/scd1. not /dev/hdc, etc.

-matt