Re: umask in X different to bash

On Thursday 05 August 2004 16:48, rich wrote:
> ok, here's how:
>
> create the file ~/.gnomerc and put the desired command in there.
>

> On Wednesday 04 August 2004 10:11, rich wrote:
> > So that's great, BUT I've noticed that saving OpenOffice.org documents
> > uses the wrong umask! As X is a different shell to bash (pls. don't start
> > a big debate on X being a shell - there's another thread on that
> > already!) does it have different places to set umask?

But this is just a hack if you are using gnome. Remember the previous thread ?
It started for somebody using KDE. For example I'm using IceWm and even if I
have put something similar to my startup files (which I'm 100% sure that
are running during session startup), all the applications that I start from
the menu (not only OpenOffice, but all of the menu applications) have umask
022, not 002 that I need. In the terminal things are ok, since I'm running
xterm -ls, and it reads my .profile.

I'm using Sarge, bash and ksh, and I need a global solution, since the problem
exists on a server that >= 50 people are logged every day. I have the same
problem with twm, kde and icewm (icewm or icewm-session). I'm usually running
kdm but this problem exists with plain startx also. I even tried to change
the umask into /etc/X11/Xsession.d with a file named 90umask, but as soon as
99xfree86-common_start execs your session, the umask turns to 022.
Mind that I have changed the umask to 002 into:

/etc/profile
/etc/login.defs
/etc/X11/icewm/startup (and I'm calling icewm-session in order to run this)
/root/.profile   (just in case....)
/root/.bashrc    (just in case....)
~/.profile
~/.bashrc
~/.icewm/startup

A grep -r into /etc gave me nothing helpfull. Any other ideas where the
default umask is enforced ? Maybe has something to do with PAM ?

--
Rgrds
iik1