Re: /proc/loadavg disagrees with top and ps

Tim Connors wrote:

If it stays in D for long continuously (as opposed to intermitently
and for a few seconds - eg. while accessing the disk), then there is
probably a kernel bug involved somewhere.

If however, the load goes away after some time, maybe it is not
something to worry about. Were you waiting for slow IO from a disk or
floopy, or maybe listening to music on a bad CD? Any oopsen in your
syslog?

Some years ago I used to boot off a Quantum LPS 170. It had some more stuff on it, probably /tmp.

It died and managed to hang a couple of process.

I manged to reconfigure the system without taking it down, and the hung processes contributed to a higher-than-normail loadaverage for weeks. Probably until the next power failure.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait